How to Qualify for Rebates on Commercial Lighting in Georgia
If you’ve been following my blogs, you know I have been focused on energy saving lighting. I’ve included information on the Federal tax deduction (EPAct 2005) and how quickly a lighting upgrade can pay for itself. Here’s the latest, and it is great news! Georgia Power recently announced The Georgia Power Commercial Energy Efficiency Program. It is not a tax deduction or a credit on your bill. It is an incentive for installing energy efficient lighting, as it literally results in a check issued to commercial customers. These incentives will help reduce the initial investment in indoor energy efficient lighting projects.
Here’s how it works.
All commercial customers that install energy efficient lighting after January 1, 2011, are qualified for this rebate. The lighting incentives are capped at $5,000.00 for tax-paying customers and $10,000.00 for non-tax paying customers. Any rebate over $1,000.00 will require pre-approval by Georgia Power. This program has a capped amount of available money allocated per year, and it is issued on a first-come, first-served basis. The program is not available to industrial billing rate customers.
- Replacing standard 400-watt metal halide hi-bay fixtures with T5 HO 4, 5, and 6 lamp fluorescent hi-bay fixtures qualifies for a rebate of $35.00 per fixture.
- Retrofitting or replacing a standard T12 fluorescent light fixture to a T8 fluorescent fixture qualifies for up to $8.00 per fixture.
- Installing motion sensors on any fixture qualifies for $10.00 per sensor.
- Exit signs that are replaced with an LED type qualify for a $10.00 rebate for each sign.
- Installing compact fluorescent lamps (CFL’s) will receive varying rebates, from $1.50 to $8.00 each, depending on the type of CFL.
- Installation of LED and Inductive lighting is also covered, but requires pre-approval from Georgia Power.
How do you apply?
To access the application and for information on the HVAC and Building Envelope/High Efficiency Equipment and Controls incentive sections of the program, go to www.georgiapower.com/commercialsavings or contact us directly. Don’t forget to click on the orange button to your right to subscribe to our RSS feed or subscribe by email by simply submitting your email address in the box to the right just below the Twitter feed.